Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Val,

Why did KIRAK drop to the lower elevation? (19, 19) puts KIRAK at the base camp. It just doesn't seem a logical choice for movement.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 pm

My bad I misunderstood something you wrote earlier....

Ignore me... He'll go back to his old postion next round

Rolling Eyes

I get the dumb move award for this combat affraid Mad
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Could be difficult, Val. KIRAK has no ranks in climb. He'll have to at least use the ropes (DC 5 over DC 15), and he will be slowed to 1/4 of his movement rate (10 FEET). Of course, if he takes a -5 to Climb check, he can attempt to climb at 1/2 his speed.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 6:00 pm

so Kirak falls on his arse...

and thus ends his illiustrious carreer as a olympic climber
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 pm

lol!

Sorry, Val. I was only trying to help. I saw that going better in my head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:29 pm

well the upshot is, theres nowhere to go from here but up.

*looks shamelessly at the now insurmountable cliff*

Ok thats not what I meant.... *facepalm* Rolling Eyes Mad No
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Quote :
Kirak says nothing as he makes his way over to the higher ground

How does he plan on doing that? Combat is over, Climb checks are not. I'm not looking to harm the monk, God forbid falling off a wall after combat Sad , but I don't want to assume how he gets up there. By using the ropes (DC 5) he can take 10 and get up the ropes in 2 rounds.

It's good practice to observe all game details, even when they do not really matter. Also, imagine his mind going over his failures in his head as he is carefully climbing the ropes and wall. It's like going to class after you just failed a test.

Val, if you want, you can just confirm that he is using the ropes here on the discussion thread. I just wanted to throw this out for later situations.

For everyone: taking 10 or 20 on a check should look like this on a post.

Climb Check (Taking 10)
10 + (Climb skill modifier) = Total score

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 pm

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*kirak falls*

Just kidding
yes he is using the ropes! lol
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 am

Mel shakes her head, looking at Kirak sprawled out on the ground.
"He's an embarrassment to the entire outfit."

Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey Comrades,

I think I have finished up all the DM necessities for this last scene. So whenever everyone is ready to move, give the word.

I know HIMO has yet to be healed and the gravedigging is not yet done, but I will finish with those events right before I move on to the Oytwood group.

Please understand, I am not trying to rush anyone, I'm just saying all that I needed to cover (as a DM) is finished.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm good if everyone else is good!!!
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention that I will be posting on Tuesday night, unless something happens earlier that needs my attention.
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Hey Evil, it's midday. No one is having dinner, yet. Unless your a halfling, with seven meals a day!
Back to top Go down
EvilBob

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:22 pm

HEY Val and Aloddaharm how about guerrilla warfare? Now with this we take it to the next step because we the party need to do something with what it has because i see HIMO and HLIN being the fire power of the guerrilla warfare of the party but I know there is more to guerrilla than the brawls of it. The team needs to act as one and everyone as a part of the whole.

Have any ideas ?
Back to top Go down
EvilBob

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:23 pm

OPPPSSSSSS damn need new glasses
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Hey Comrades,

If there is anyone in this group who wants to help out Val come up with strategies for scouting and eventually battling NERRAUNE, now is the time. All of you really should be focused on collaboration at this point. You do not need great magical prowess or kickass class abilities to come up with scouting or battle strategies. The only limit is your mind. A strong understanding of all the basic DnD rules (i.e. movement) helps a lot.

I post this because Val should not feel alone out here when Evil and Condie are out with him.

Also, Evil, if you want to have assistance in thinking up guerilla warfare tactics, you may want to put some ideas on the table yourself. If you want HIMO and HLIN to be your guerilla powerhouses you have to start with some ideas, not feed off of others.

Hey, Val, it really helps to rehash the specifics of strategies talked about before, not just use the line "like we talked about before". That makes the commands very vague. Also, it may make people look several pages back, especially since there was a battle in between that discussion and this one. Of course, expounding on my last statement, it is a good idea for people to learn the value of word documents and transferring information to the word documents on different subjects during the game.

One more thing, every two days I will post on the adventure thread, moving time ahead as I see fit should there be no pressing matters for me to address. Ideas can be bandied about over hours of game time. I just want to keep time flowing at my pace.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:42 pm

If Martin or Hlin have any ideas that are worth sharing In character now is the time. The general lack of participation is extremely depressing...
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:59 pm

FYI

I will be jumping between three scenes over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, I can do each one to completion and then switch the scene. It might get a little tricky.

For the sake of expediency, I will go back to making my DM posts on a 24 hour basis (as time permits me). If there is a scene that a player wishes to participate in, let me know if you cannot do it within that 24 hour period. I really do not mind holding off if I am waiting for a player. However, do not wait too long to post for I will only another 24 hour period (unless I am giving an actual time when someone will post).

Anyway, the scenes I am planning (so you guys have time to run ideas in your head on a quiet evening or in the shower) are down below. They will be done in order.

LOWLYN's Scout Group

FORT OLVEWATER's evening meeting
The team at the fort will be discussing future plans of the fort mainly for defenses (AKA: The meeting to keep the DM from exploiting the shit out of our weaknesses).

GHORENFORE's Base Camp
I need to have a sending spell between either FORLIN and GHORENFORE or MARILYN and FORLIN. I'm shooting for the former, so I can have GHORENFORE in the action.

Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am

FYI

Comrades,

It's NERRAUNE not NERRUANE.

Back to top Go down
CondieBerks

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 10:39 am

For the game, I'll stick with my roll from Friday morning.
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 12:59 pm

That works; here we go then.
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 11:28 am

As the DM, I fell that I need to put this out here. I'm not certain if this is all meant to be roleplaying, but if an idea (or several) are criticized by an NPC or a PC, this does not mean that the idea is shit. It means that perhaps the post was not clear enough on the plan of action or there are questions that were not addressed. This is an attempt to nuture a basic idea, or a bad idea, into something that is more viable. An idea may not be correct when coming straight out of the gate. That is why there is collaboration, which involves criticism.

As the DM, I do not support nor trample over ideas presented or the presenter. I can find flaws in ideas, but I attempt to keep those within the realm of the NPCs responses and their own knowledge base (which usually involves a d20 roll on my table to see whether they can contribute anything at all). That also works if I find strength in an idea, it will only be pointed out by an NPC who successfully makes the roll. This is deliberate. The NPCs will not carry this campaign alone. The main collaborators should be the PCs with each other.

If an idea is tossed aside by an NPC or PC, but you like the idea, then support it. Perhaps the criticism misunderstood what you were really trying to say, or perhaps you were not clear and need to clarify. If you are presented with questions about an idea, then answer them. It will help to flush the idea out. Debating the merits and pitfalls of an idea will eventually lead to the answer as to whether the idea is viable. Do not just hide in a hole.

For example, ARLIE's plan to improve the organization of the fort is incomplete, so he was given the responsibility to put the idea in more concrete terms. I will ask this of the players and PCs. When ARLIE returns the next night with a plan, the characters can go over the plan and see what may work and what will not. If a plan is implemented, then we will really see what works at what doesn't. Then, you alter the plan more. This is how it works; there is no such thing as a flawlwss plan. There is not a magic bullet.

Two of KIRAK's plans, on a personal level, were not salvageable. I could not even imagine how to camouflage this fort with high level illusion spells. Also, marking the river banks for distance is unnecessary given that we do not have siege equipment. The idea of forming a scouting party or crafting traps was NOT shot down. There were questions and concerns presented to get people thinking and to flush out the rough, basic ideas presented. I can see no reason for KIRAK to suddenly clam up and shut down. Criticism should be taken as it is intended, to expand ideas. Of course, I have no idea where Evil has been. Making traps around the fort was something HIMO supported for some time, but never introduced at the right time. Now is the time to support KIRAK with those ideas.

Hell, TA'HEED's own idea is riddled with issues. One of the issues is not abundantly clear yet, but will be by the next evening. The idea is simple, we lack the supplies to take on such a project. If we want to continue the project, we need to get the supplies. Three shovels and two picks will complete the project in about a year at the least. Also, we have no engineer or combat expert to help build the bunkers. I could go ahead and build them and have them crumble at the first attack on a bunker. That is the risk you take by allowing the NPCs free reign. Then, of course, there is the obvious: what if a giant steps on the bunker? Ewwwwwww. Why were these criticisms not introduced? Well, one was. TA'HEED did mention he was not an engineer. The other criticisms were not mentioned because the idea is unconventional given the historic level of battle tactics at this point (removing the magical aspects), so NPCs like MEL would be atonished and simply ignorant of the idea. Also, NPCs who do not make rolls, do not make criticisms. Lastly, PCs can ask questions too and probably should.

Sometimes the criticisms of the NPCs could seem heavy-handed. Perhaps they are, CLARA's certainly was, and the comment about giants was probably unnecessary. However, CLARA is the ice queen, what else would you expect. MEL exploded in a fury of questions toward KIRAK, because there were many details he neglected with his vague ideas. TANYA's criticisms were right on the money. She has no idea if KIRAK is any sort of scout, and I did not look at his character sheet to see if TANYA was right or not. If she was wrong, she could be corrected. I even through in the idea that traps on the river banks could be marked so that wandering elves could spot them. That was not a criticism, that was support.

Also, if anyone has questions about how to implement plans, post them on the discussion thread and I will answer them. Now the questions must be connected to rules and rolls that are needed; I will not give you ideas on how to make traps. A question I thought of was about how to make traps. Craft (trapmaking) is the golden boy of trapmaking. I believe no one has that skill. However, someone with Profession (hunter) can make basic traps to catch small and large prey (deadfalls, bearpits, snares, etc.). A character with Survival could make the same type of traps. A character without a certain skill can still explain an idea enough that I will support it as a DM and ask for an ability score roll with perhaps some added bonuses. Such an idea has to have decent detail about the layout of a trap or the support structure of a bunker. These are ways to bend the rules and expanding a character beyond the skill set they have. This where the imagination and problem solving ability of the player goes beyond the numbers on a character sheet. Sometimes I may so no, sometimes I may support the idea.

I have two last things to mention. I did talk with Evil about a week and a half ago. I let me in on a secret that I will impart to everyone. When I create situations, I do not have solutions planned out. I refuse to make any sort of script that details how you can successfully navigate a situation. That is not what a DM does. You present ideas to address the challenges I put forth; they either work or they do not. Lastly, the criticism on this far-too-lengthy post is not meant to insult people, single them out, or do anything else nasty. It is to present a issue the DM is having that is limiting his enjoyment of the campaign. I know my campaigns are difficult, but so do all of you. You've been with me for a long time, so there must be some merit in what I present. Also, I decided to do this now, but it has been building for some time. I would like to explain my opinions instead of beating my head on the table. I did it now while there are fresh examples to address.

Hell, you guys have three weeks to refine the ideas presented if you want. I'll be back on Nov 22/23. So, I will see all of you in the game soon. Dodge those boulders!

Back to top Go down
EvilBob

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 11:51 am

Hey VAL,

With starting a scout party HIMO is willing to be a scout leader, and here are some ideas i have talked with Aloddaharm and the ideas are we need 3 to 4 people with HIMO and he is willing to use hide armor so that it is easier for him to move without making a lot of noise like heavier metal armor does make. Its a good idea to know how far the scout party travels so the party doesn't travels too far from the fort if they run into trouble, and what are we scout for? Friends or info of enemy movements? These are just question that I still I am working out myself on a everyday bases with any ideas i come with but as Aloddaharm question my ideas like with HLIN and the party fighting the undead badies I forgot to tell the Treants that she is willing to use dead trees versus killing to make the wall around the camp. As I told Aloddaharm " Oh dam I forgot to tell them dead trees." But as you saw the post yourself, But yes we need a scouting party for the fort but we the ideas for the party for the scouting party even the navy they need who,what,when,where and how info because it is senseless to send people needless to die.

Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey comrades,

So, in two days I will be returning to dry land. After taking a long, hot shower, I will be ready to continue these games. For my game, I have a plan that I would like to follow.

First, I need to continue the sending between Forlin and Ghorenfore. I would like to finish that conversation as quickly as possible.

Second, I plan to move back to Ghorenfore and his group to see how we want to approach Nerraune's lair.

After those scenes, I will switch scenes as I see fit with planned encounters I have created. Of course, I will add a scene at the fort on the next day (in the evening) for Arlie's watch plan at the fort.

If anyone wants to have a scene to discuss strategies or roleplaying between characters (especially PCs to PCs), let me know in a timely fashion and I will find a spot to put it in. I will no longer be swtiching between scenes unless I have an encounter for the characters. The rest is up to you.
Back to top Go down
Aloddaharm

Aloddaharm

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 12:53 am

Hey Comrades,

Val is out of town, celebrating the Thanksgiving festivities, but I would like to continue the game this weekend anyway. So, that leaves the big decisions up to Condie and Evil.

Val will catch up when he gets back.

And Val, dodge those turkeys!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)   Discussion Thread (Against the Giants) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Discussion Thread (Against the Giants)
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next